Health and Wellness
CRES parents Cassie Cerise and Lindsay Hentschel are very excited to have Crystal River Elementary School chosen to partner with Action for Healthy Kids and LiveWell Garfield County. They have formed a Health and Wellness Crew sub-committee and hope to accomplish the following goals:
1) Develop a school-based wellness policy aligned to the district policy.
- Review district policy
- Collect areas of concern from stakeholders
- Draft policy with administrators
- Submit to SAC for review
2) Help design/implement a school schedule that allows for recess before lunch.
- Share research/findings on increased nutrition and focus with this model
- Review current schedule with appropriate school representatives
- Propose adjustments and build support
- Problem-solve any resulting challenges
3) Educate parents, teachers, and students on sugar content and effects on learning in order to reduce sugar consumption within the school.
- Create a display regarding sugar intake recommendations vs. content in common foods
- Share research on effects of sugar on the brain and on learning
- Propose changes to birthday celebrations in school to promote healthy activity instead of snacks
- Help fund/support/create alternative birthday celebration options
- Work on parent education regarding nutrition through newsletter articles in 2015-16, including providing suggestions for healthy class holiday party treats